Friday, June 26, 2009

A Big Chunk Of Pop Culture Has Left Us

I wasn't sure if I wanted to write this post. Some of it is controversial but I still feel like its the right thing to do and I, like always, want to share my opinion and input.

A huge chunk of pop culture has left us this week, not only with the passing of Michael Jackson, but with the passing of Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon as well. What is pop culture without "Charlie's Angels" and "Heeeereee's Jonny!"??

Ed McMahon was an icon in his own right, with Star Search and hanging out with Dick Clark on the bloopers and practical jokes show among other gigs. At 86 years old, I feel like Ed lived a long life and got a lot out of it. Of course I didn't personally know him, but that's the impression that I get. At 86, you can somewhat "mourn easier" because at that stage in life, passing becomes expected and isn't the biggest surprise. Though its easier to mourn this star in pop culture, we'll miss you Ed, our thoughts are with your family.

The Farrah flippy hair, the infamous poster, and of course, "Charlie's Angels", the most popular angel really now is one (at least I think she's the most popular one!) She was 62 years old and it shouldn't have been her time to go. She should have been able to see her son Redmond come out of jail, cancer took this boys mother and it takes people from us all the time. I sincerely hope that there will come a day that people don't need to be lost to a disease that ravages the body like cancer does. To the family, she is truly an angel now and she will forever be an icon.

So, he was a little eccentric. So, he got accused of horrible things with children, though it was never actually confirmed, we know everyone has their opinion of what happened with that. I'm not here to blast Michael Jackson, nor discuss the accusations made about him because I am not informed enough to make a solid conclusion what he may or may not have done. The fact of the matter is, he is, was and will always be "The King Of Pop." This will go without saying (and with!) for many many years and all court B.S. aside, he was one of the most amazing, talented musicians of our time. His body had obviously been through hell, and at the end he had done so much that he looked like a completely different person then when he was a child, but I still don't believe that it was his time to go. At 50 years old, I don't believe that anyone should have to go. He still had children to raise and a life of his own to live. Whether in eccentricity or what we would like to see him live his life as, he still had time that he should have been able to live.

Do I believe that Farrah would get more press had Michael not died? Yes. I absolutely do. But on the flip side, with the condition that Farrah was in, as horrible as it sounds, she was almost expected to die and with MJ dying unexpectedly, the unexpected overshadowed the expected. Its a horrible thing that the expected gets pushed to the wayside, but thats media. What can you say?

Pop culture suffered a major blow this week. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Peace be with you and thoughts to your families.

1 comments:

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• June 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

I still am in a bit of shock that two incredibly talented people passed away in the same day. It is heartbreaking.

Back to TOP