Friday, September 11, 2009

A Moment of Silence

I drove Boug to school today and dropped her off before I even wanted to acknowledge what today is. When I think about 8 years ago, I get a sinking feeling in my stomach, I immediately well up with tears. Regardless of who you are and where you live, this is a somber day for all Americans.

9/11, 8 years ago... I woke up like any old day. I got in trouble because I brought a kitten home to my mothers house. The whole day started out with her screaming at me that we didn't need a 3rd cat in the house. I barely glanced at the TV as they were airing the news. At first, I didn't think anything of it, because for some reason, I thought they were acknowledging the anniversary where the little teeny plane hit the Empire State building many many years ago- My great grandmother worked there at the time, so thats where my thoughts immediately went. A few minutes later, I paused at the TV. Everything seemed so urgent. I didn't have a clue..... I sat. I watched. I cried. I feared.

(Not to discredit those who live even closer to NYC) Living 2 hours north of the city, panic set in around here. There were fears that the 3 Hudson River bridges close by would be the next to go. I was attending Dutchess Community College, and there were thoughts that it would be taken as well. I refused to go to work, and so many people did as well that they just shut the mall down for the rest of the day. Can I count the people in this area that commute to the city? Probably not. I thought about our little towns and the families that lived in them.

We hadn't met yet, but my husband was living in Vegas at the time. He tells me that he had nothing but fear for Las Vegas, being the tourist attraction that it is. Though after living in NY, he thought of his friends, family and people back home... He went out and got drunk to cope.
Its odd that now, something that happened in our lifetime, will end up in the history books forever. I always remember social studies and history in school, and al the events happened what seems to be so long ago, most before I was even born. But fact of the matter is, this is history, this is a part of America. This horrible, horriffic event has made the United States what they are today, and the involved events thereafter will always shape us as a country.

To the families that lost loved ones on this date, my heart goes to you. We will never forget, America will never forget. To the first responders, those that put themselves on the line selflessly, my heart goes to you, your families. To everyone who has had 9/11 hit home, I give you my prayers.

Have I explained 9/11 to Boug? No. I can't bring myself to do it. I can't shake that 5 year olds little world. I'm praying to make it through today without any questions from her. I'm hoping that they don't talk about it in kindergarten, not just for Boug, but for the other kids as well. To be honest, I don't know when I'll tell her, or how. I don't know how old she'll be, or whether she'll hear about it before I have a chance to explain it. Same with Lil' Buddy. Maybe as more years pass the feelings will subside a little so that talking about it with the children will be easier.

No, I won't post the pictures of the attacks as they happened. I won't post the pictures of the people being thrown from or jumping from the building. I will only post respectful pictures to the families who lost loved ones. Memorial pictures.

7 comments:

Nicole September 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Great post. I think it's amazing how almost everyone in the world, no matter how close or far from the actual incidents, felt exactly the same.

Thanks for visiting our site as well.

http://pinkandposh.net/2009/09/remembering-911/

Ms. Anita September 11, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

Thank you for not posting pictures of the planes and people jumping. I've seen pictures online that children drew of such things... ones who were children on that day eight years ago. It breaks my heart to know how scarred they must be from viewing the news that day (and weeks to follow) over and over and over again.

Mom Union September 12, 2009 at 12:20 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom Union September 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

Thank you for the heartfelt post, Casey. I was walking home from dropping Girlie Girl off at school when a neighbor came out and said The World Trade Center had been bombed. We ran inside and watched the horror unfold. I cried because it seemed only a short time ago, when I was in the Army, I lost 2 friends who had been transferred to Oklahoma City for a "cookie" desk job after Desert Storm. They were sitting at their desks. Knowing those two ladies, they were probably sipping their morning coffee, chatting, and just living their lives. I sat on the couch watching the towers fall and wondered how many people died who had just been living their lives, not hurting anybody.
Heather

Hyla September 14, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

When this happened I was a month away from giving birth at 17. I bought a People magazine that was done as a tribute to 9/11 and put it in my sons baby book so he could look through it when he gets older.

Ruth September 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM  

I had spoken to my daughter about the attack previously, but this year I had her watch an animated film from a series put out by Huckabee, and it explained what happened in a way that kids could understand. She now knows about the attack, and I am grateful. Here's my story: http://mydevotionalthoughts.net/2011/09/this-day-in-history-september-11-2001-2.html

Back to TOP