Sunday, August 16, 2009

Winding Down From The Weekend....

Oh goodness... what a weekend....
Spending all day on Friday attempting to cook for the big birthday bash on Saturday was enough to drain me for the entire weekend. Why I try to cook things that I've never made before at the last minute is beyond me... To start things off: I've never made potato salad before. I had to boil the potatoes in two batches because my pot wasn't big enough. The first batch came out fine, the second batch, not so much. Because Lil' Bud was so much underfoot, the second batch was more like mashed potato salad... thank goodness what I made for the first batch wound up being enough!!

Fast forward to Saturday morning, Boug and I get to the park at 9:30 am and realize: I forgot my cell. And I forgot scissors to cut the ribbon for the balloons. So I couldn't even call the hub to tell him to bring me scissors. At least when he got there at 10:30 he brought my cell, not as if anyone called all day though. Not only that, I forgot the BBQ sauce for the chicken, something to hang the pinata with as well as something to beat it with. Thank goodness for my mom or else we would have been screwed.

All in all the party was a blast, people who rsvp'ed didn't show up, which I find so rude... and the kids all had a blast. People were swimming and playing, eating and chatting, which was just nice to have.

I had only one issue though. Hub is a recovering alcoholic, we don't drink and for pete's sake... its a 5 year old and a 1 year old kids birthday party, there really isn't much need for boozin' you think? My mother is a heavy drinker and I specificially told her that there will be no bringing drinks to the party. And yes, sad as it is to say it, I was so surprised when she respected me and didn't bring her wine to the party. Though she had told a friend of hers, her "drinking buddy," to bring their cooler if they wanted drinks. Her friend then mentioned it to me in passing and I had told her, "Do NOT bring a cooler, there's no drinking at this party, I'd appreciate it if you didn't." Sure enough, come to find out that a grown ass woman and her husband, who I explicitly told not to, brought themselves beer and wine in a cooler and were tiptoeing back and forth to their car to have drinks.

I can't wait for the weekend to be done. It makes me sad that there is such a lack of respect for me and my family, when this is someone who is supposed to be one of my own mothers best friends. I've spent time today angry, sad, pissed off, crying and bitching about this situation. I've contemplated what to say, how to say it and if to say anything at all. Is it worth putting even more of a scar on the weekend? Or should I just let it go as it is? All I'm upset about is the complete lack of respect and decency that this couple would have for us.

5 comments:

Kristin August 16, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

hope she had a very happy birthday!

Liz August 17, 2009 at 1:09 AM  

Ohhh Casey I'm sorry for the crappy way your Mom's friend acted, it sucks that grown adults have to act that way! But I am glad that otherwise the parties went well, and I hope your little ones enjoyed themselves immensely! :-)

kado! August 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

Glad the party was fun! How funny...I made potato salad this weekend too!

I wondered how things would turn out...since you had mentioned before...that you wondered how your Mom would act....sounds like you should be grateful you Mother showed so much respect for you...that is too bad about the friends of hers...but it seems the people who "really mattered" were on their best behavior?

CMC August 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

You know what? You can't un-ring a bell. What's done is done, and can't be undone. Harping on it or beating yourself up over it is pointless, since you had no control over it anyway. You'll know for next time, though, that perhaps those aren't the kinds of persons with whom you want to associate. Like you said, they didn't show you any respect, so why should you show any to them? Don't invite them to your next function. Actions speak louder than words. I think they might get that message loud and clear.

Sorry to hear they put a damper on what was supposed to have been a really special day.

spitfyr323 at hotmail dot com

Unknown August 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

I hope they had a good time despite this rude couple.

Back to TOP