Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trying to keep my voice down...

In a recent NY Times article, they've touched on if shouting is the new spanking... I have to admit, this hits me at home. I have never spanked either one of my children ever. Nothing more than a little whack on the hand if they're touching or about to touch something dangerous. But Lordy, I'm a yeller... even my husband agrees that I yell a lot. Its an aweful feeling to yell, and most times I wish I could just be a more laid back mom, but some of the stupid crap just gets to me and I catch myself yelling, and yelling... and then yelling some more...

They say in the article that yelling is done when parents feel irritable and anxious, but honestly, what parent DOESN'T feel irritable and anxious? So does that mean we all yell? Nope... I've blamed my yelling on the chaos around me from time to time and in the back of my mind I know its an excuse. Though I do feel like if I wasn't so high strung about things, I know I wouldn't yell as much... I've been trying so hard to chill out, but its a lot harder than it seems... My goal is to ultimately become one of those laid back moms, with all the time in the world to bake cookies, have perfectly ironed khaki's on and be completely "go with the flow..."

You can find this article through the "Juicebox" in the upper right hand sidebar here, click on through and read the article...

What do you feel about shouting being classified as the new spanking??

2 comments:

kado! November 3, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

i can raise my voice with the best of them...but honestly that is when my kids usually start listing to me...so i can't fix what ain't broke...right!! ;)

...but you're right i do need to tone it down sometimes.....i don't yell when I'm out of the house...so i guess I shouldn't at home either!

MIG November 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

I don't think yelling is something parents enjoy doing but I think sometimes we don't know what else to do to get our child's attention. Maybe we all need Super Nanny. lol

Back to TOP