Sunday, November 22, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Finally, I started my job last week, I worked Wednesday and Friday in training. Although I went back to the same company I used to work for, I went back in a differently location after 3 years, and although I was an expert trainer in my old store, I must re-train... how frustrating. I'm sucking it up though and dealing with it. I just can't wait to be through with it and be making my own money again!!

Its hunting season again, and although my husband doesn't hunt, he's a butcher with butcher friends and we recently got 2 lbs. of ground venison... anyone have any recipes that ground venison would be a good subsitution in? I can only make so many venison burgers before we get bored with them....

Make sure you check out the giveaways listed here on the left hand sidebar, lots of great goodies to be won... and I do have something special coming up for the MPM'ers, be sure to keep checking back for that giveaway!!
Recipes are below!!

Monday: Won't be home, both of us working, kids at a friends house

Tuesday: Family Size Burrito

Wednesday: Crockpot Chicken Thighs

Thursday: Turkey Day, at a friends house

Friday: Beef Roast

Saturday: Won't be home, headed to a concert in NYC! Date night!

Sunday: Bacon Wrapped BBQ Apple Chicken

Once again, breakfasts are usually cold cereal, oatmeal and sometimes Boug just wants toast and a banana! Lunches usually are leftovers or sandwiches paired with yogurt or fruit generally. My meals are usually a bit heavier in meats and chickens as hub is a butcher and brings so much home for free or next to nothing!! Check out more Menu Plan Monday entries at orgjunkie!!

Recipes:::

Family Size Burrito (from Balancing Act Basics)
*She calls for cooked chicken, I'm going to try it with shredded beef, I'll put a piece of steak in the crockpot with the taco seasoning, and maybe salsa the day before so its ready to go*

2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded*
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp chicken taco seasoning mix
1 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp salsa
1 shredded cheddar cheese
4 burrito-size flour tortillas
1/2 can (9oz) bean dip
Toppings: shredded lettuce, sliced olives, sour cream

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix chicken with onion powder, lime juice, seasoning mix, garlic powder and salsa. Microwave chicken mixture 3-4 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally.
Arrange tortillas in an overlapping circular pattern on a large pizza stone (you could use a cookie sheet as well), covering entire surface of baking stone. Tortillas will extend off edge by a few inches. Starting in the center, spread bean dip over tortillas. Spoon chicken mixture over bean dip and cover with 3/4 cup of cheese. Fold edges of tortillas up over chicken mixture in an envelope pattern. Arrange sliced tomatoes in rows over top of burrito. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake about 18 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are browned. Cut into rectangles; serve with assorted toppings and enjoy!

Crockpot Chicken Thighs (from Tasty Kitchen)
6-8 pieces, bone in chicken thighs
1.5 cup apple juice or cider
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 tbsp. dried mustard
1 pinch spices to taste

Lay the chicken on the bottom of the crockpot, skin side up. Pour enough apple juice to come just below covering the chicken. Add the bbq sauce, dried mustard, and whatever spices you want depending on your taste preference. Rosemary, thyme and oregano all work well. Some of the blended spices are nice also. Experiment. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and be certain to pull out the bones and skin. The meat will fall apart as it’s removed. Serve over rice or on rolls for ‘pulled chicken’ sandwiches.


Beef Roast
I'll just combine a beef roast in the crockpot with dry brown gravy mix, 1/2 cup water, ranch dressing mix and italian dressing mix. I'll toss some veggies in like potatoes, carrots, maybe celery and onion. Not my usual way of making a roast, but figured I'd try it out!!

Bacon Wrapped BBQ Apple Chicken (all you magazine??)
1/2 c barbecue sauce
2 apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and grated
juice of 1 lemon
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
8 slices bacon
salt and pepper

In a small bowl, combine bbq sauce, grated apple and lemon juice. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each chicken breast half. Place wrapped chicken in slow cooker and top with bbq-sauce mixture.
Set slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.

5 comments:

Eileen,  November 23, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

Hey Casey,
I know a lot of people who add half venison and half beef to a lot of recipes. It is leaner than beef but some notice a "wild" taste, so the beef blends and hides it. I have used in chili, tacos, sloppy joes, etc this way.
I grew up on a farm with 5 brothers and am the only girl of 4 that liked to hunt. My hubby is a hunting obsessed. So, even though I dont get out now (as I am the mom that always stayed home from the hunt so the hubby COULD go...and then last few years have been too sick to go. Crazy...got Lyme,caused by (guess what) deer ticks, I know Ya still have to live and have fun, and hunting is part of that!!!!
ENjoy your mmmmm....mmmmm....good venison!

Lindsay November 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Very nice! Hi there! I'm Lindsay and I'm stopping in from MPM to say hello :)

Anonymous,  November 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

I have found that ground venison works best in chili, but it also works really well when used in place of ground beef in Zatarains Dirty Rice.

Leah November 24, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

I don't know about Deer meat, but we were given some Elk once and I made a meatloaf with it and it was horrible!

So...don't do that.

The Chili sounds good though :)

Back to TOP