Friday, January 30, 2009

Some People Just Don't Know When....

Some people just don't know when to shut up.

We went across the river last night to get our taxes done. We had the most wonderful tax preparer, I swear he could have been Joe Biden's brother, big friendly smile and very nice. We laughed with him and as odd as it sounds, had a pretty good time getting our taxes done. Boug was well behaved, Lil' Buddy didn't cry.... all in all I couldn't have been happier.

Until...

A young couple with a baby came in and they wound up with the tax preparer next to us. We didn't initiate conversation, not to sound cold, but we don't know these people and we couldn't have cared less about them at that time. We just wanted to get our taxes done and go home, I mean c'mon, Hell's Kitchen started back up last night. We wanted to get home!!! Lil' Buddy was sitting up on Hubby's lap and bouncing and smiling. The father at the next spot over looked at him and said to us "WOW, he's so big!!" We did the whole, yeah... smile and nod, and didn't continue the conversation. Please remember, I get the whole "big baby" bit constantly, Hubby's 6'6" so of course I have big kids. The guy's next line is now... "He's like ABNORMAL big!" Seriously, who says that? I wanted to look over and say (whether it was true or not) "YEAH? Well your baby's ugly!!" But I couldn't do that. I said what I usually say... "Well, his dad is 6'6" so of course he's a big guy" looked away and continued to talk to my husband, daughter and tax preparer.

Hub had to use the bathroom so Lil' Buddy got handed off to me, and being the one closer to this P.I.T.A. guy, he now says to me "His hands are HUGE! They're almost as big as mine!!" At this point, I'm done. I'm done responding. I'm done acknowedging that this guy is even talking. I'm DONE. Cause if I continued to pay attention, I was going to end up in JAIL. I wanted to pummel this guy. And his wife/girlfriend/baby mama whatever, had absolutely nothing to say about anything. We finish up our taxes, praise our preparer, pack up all the baby stuff, get jackets on and go....

When does one realize that they need to shut up?? When do you start to actually listen to yourself talk and say "hey, I sound pretty dumb".... ? When do you know that you have sucessfully inserted your foot right into your mouth?

I know enough not to care what other people say, I know not to let it get to me, but son of a b*tch ... it gets to me.... My kids are my life, my family is my life. Keep your freakin' mouth shut. Its that whole line I learned many many moons ago... "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!!"


5 comments:

Anonymous,  January 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

i would have smiled brightly at him and said "you must be nervous about your taxes. People say stupid shit when they are nervous" and turned my back to him.

people like that make me nutso

Kelley January 30, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

Man...people unfortuatly are just that dumb. I do commend you on your restraint.... not sure I could held back.
Have a great weekend

Anonymous,  January 31, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

I am new to your blog but I just had to comment. I had the same thing happen to me at Target with my youngest. I am short and petite and this woman went on and on about how big my daughter was and how she was going to be bigger than me soon if I kept feeding her. Can you imagine if I would have commented on her size?!

Unknown January 31, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

You have an award over at my blog!!!

Denise March 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

The answer to a man like that is..

"Size matters"

Guarantee he would have shut up.

Back to TOP