Saturday, November 15, 2008

What are you making for dinner?

Every night I question myself... what the hell am I going to make for dinner? With money so tight, I tend to do mini-grocery shopping sessions and just pick up this and that for meals a few items at a time. There always comes a point in the week that I'm like CRAP! I have NOTHING left!! We've been doing a lot of soup and grilled cheese lately, which we all love but its starting to get old. Then on the flipside, at least twice to three times a week I make eggs, homefries and toast for dinner. The other two or three nights a week are always those "OH CRAP" nights and I usually end up trying to figure something out with whatever is left over! It got me thinking, I really need to start figuring out some recipes that are good and not monotonous and that can be whipped up with 5 ingredients or less without breaking the bank. Here's one I'll share with you, I've been doing it for years, yet for the past year probably, I've been forgetting to refresh my cabinets with the ingredients to have on hand!! Maybe I'll head to the grocery store tomorrow....

Zesty Pesto Chicken--

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 c. spicy brown mustard
1/2 c. pesto
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar

Pierce chicken breast with a fork a few times each.
Mix together mustard, pesto and vinegar.
Add the chicken breast to the mixture and marinade for at least 1 hour (the longer the better I think!)
When the marinading is complete, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place the marinated chicken onto a piece of aluminum foil large enough to be folded around it and spoon some of the marinade on top.
Fold up the foil like a packet, repeat for all pieces of chicken and place onto a cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 for at least 30 minutes or until done.

I know that the recipe says ZESTY, but its not spicy at all, my 4 year old loves this and has like it since she was probably 2 or so.
I love to pair this recipe with some couscous and asparagus spears. This is definately one of my favorite meals and its sooo easy to make. The foil packs make it so easy to clean up. Sheesh, there have been times that I've made this and NOT washed the cookie sheet after using it!! Shhh... don't tell on me or think any less of me!!

If you do happen to try this out, please let me know how it worked out for you!! This was one of those recipes that I just tossed together one day and I haven't come across it in any cookbooks or anything. I'm curious to see what others think of it!

0 comments:

Back to TOP