Saturday, February 21, 2009

Raising Freethinkers

One subject that I very rarely touch here is religion, but I'm going to touch on it for a moment. I won't be offended if you don't read this post, I won't hold it against you... but on the flip side, I would prefer not to get flamed for any of my views on religion. Thanks!

I was given the chance to read the book, "Raising Freethinkers" by Dale McGowan, Molleen Matsumura, Amanda Metskas and Jan Devor. The book has a subtitle of "A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief." I'll admit that's what caught my eye the most. I was not raised with any extensive religious background. I cannot claim to have a vast understanding of any religious sect and I don't even know what to consider myself, religiously. Yes, we celebrate Christmas, as well as the other main religious holidays and I do know a bit about them. But I'm no scholar on the subject. More answers for me, more ways to open my eyes is an asset.

As a parent, I think its important to have your own beliefs, and to raise your children to be contributing to the community, understanding and accepting of others, ethical and caring, among other things. Think outside the box sometimes on ethics, without focusing on religion and there are some really good points in "Raising Freethinkers."

I honestly think that this book is eye opening, with lots of responses to some hard questions. Lots of activities to use as explaination, and easy to read, especially for someone like me who doesn't get many chances to sit and read a book too often. It held my attention, it was engaging. There are points and activities that don't pertain to just non-religious families. And no matter what, a family is a family.

A bit more about "Raising Freethinkers" from their site:

Praised by Newsweek as “a compelling read” and Library Journal as “accessible and down-to-earth,” Dale McGowan’s Parenting Beyond Belief offered freethinking parents everywhere a compassionate introduction to raising caring, ethical children without religious guidance. Now, for the more than 40 million people in the United States who identify themselves as nonreligious, Raising Freethinkers offers solutions to the unique challenges secular parents face and provides specific answers to common questions, as well as over 100 activities for both parents and their children. This book covers every important topic nonreligious parents need to know to help their children with their own moral and intellectual development, including advice on religious-extended-family issues, death and life, secular celebrations, wondering and questioning, and more.

1 comments:

kado! February 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

Thanks for the post...I'll have to check that book out...I have been blessed to have the opportunity to gain knowledge from many different religious beliefs and I think there is some good in all of them...as a whole I guess I consider myself Agnostic because one exact religion does not fit me perfectly...I have some problems will ALL Organized religion and ultimately believe in being the best person I can be...I definitely believe in Karma and wish we as people could all just get along! I love teaching my children about many different views so hopefully someday as adults they can find something that suits them perfectly! OK...I'm sure that's enough typing over-analyzing for one day ...LoL! Love your thoughts!

Back to TOP