Wednesday, March 3, 2010

28 days??

Earlier today, (okay, technically speaking, yesterday), I wrote a post about my husband going to 28 day inpatient rehab for his alcoholism. This is an *add-on* type of post to that post...

We pay about $200 each week out of his paycheck for our medical insurance. So, over the course of a year, we end up paying about $10,400 for medical. Then, on top of that, for this instance, inpatient rehab is running us a $1,000 co-pay. So please tell me why our medical insurer, MVP, denied him coverage for inpatient rehab? He has a max of 30 days of any sort of inpatient on our policy per year... so why can't he get the 28 days that he needs to begin with?

He said he sat there, while going through the admission process, waiting for MVP to call back to confirm that he could be there, and watched people who were regulated by courts and whatnot be admitted and accepted. They weren't using employer based health insurance. They were using public health insurance, Medicaid. I'm not knocking Medicaid, but seriously, money comes out of his paycheck every week to put in to that too. So... would it make more sense for our family to just drop all of our insurance and head over to sign up for the public insurance? Each person was in the door to rehab, no questions asked.

The man needs the help, and no, he doesn't WANT to go. He knows he NEEDS to go. But why can't he? Because MVP doesn't want to pay out money for someone who NEEDS help and is accepting of that help? Needless to say, my big ass mouth called and bitched out some poor customer service rep with MVP and the case is in review. We should know by noon tomorrow if we'll be heading back to the facility to get admitted.... Fingers crossed.

MVP... most valuable person? I think not. I don't feel that its their outlook to their members.

5 comments:

Barbara Montag March 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM  

I have my fingers crossed for you too!

Monkey Mae March 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

Insurance is so beyond frustrating. I will be sending good thoughts this gets worked out for you.

Unknown March 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

Insurance is definitely beyond frustrating! I don't get it. The only way for working families who struggle from paycheck to paycheck to get anywhere in these times is to just....quit their jobs, go on Medicaid, foodstamps and WIC and everything else so that we can eat healthy foods, get the medical care we need and our children need. This system that we are under sucks and I am tired of seeing all the help people get while they are out blowing money on $100 hair cuts, tanning and crap like that when I can not afford to go spend $60 to get my grey covered. Okay, so I am going off subject but boy that all makes me madder than a wet hen.

I hope it all comes through for you and your man.

lfhpueblo March 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

Hey, there's a class action going on in Colorado against three insurance companies that denied patient's treatment and medications they needed and was under their policies. Sounds like MVP is just a class action in the waiting in your area of the country.

so March 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

There is only one way to get the help you need and it is through good old fashion prayer. In Matthew 6. the disciples asked Jesus how to pray. He shows them. I will be praying that things will work out for him to go. This is one of the hardest things in the world to beat with God all things are possible!

Back to TOP