Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Back to square one...



I've come back full circle. Unfortunately not in the ways that I would ever like. I can't say that I wound up back to my high school weight, or got my bank account back to millionaire status. This is a bad square one. This is a frustrating and unfortunate square one.

As you may know, I went back to college in the fall after 11 years out, studying a double major of Chemical Dependency Counseling with Mental Health Assisting. Ultimately, the goal is to work in intake at a facility, or be an advocate for children or families of addicts. When I registered in the fall, the advisor that set me up told me that since I've been out of school for 11 years, that I should just go part time to start off with, so that I don't get overwhelmed. Little did I know, that would be something that would completely bite me in the ass at this point in my college career now.

I was told that I'm on acedemic probation. I had a 4.0 last semester and a 3.33 this semester. Because I took classes in 2000, 2001, I'm "maxing out" on the number of credits that I can receive financial aid for without having a degree yet. No one told me this would happen, so I never received my financial aid for this semester, or my two student loans for this semester that are used to cover my childcare costs while I go to school and have my hours lessened at work because of it. Even with an appeal to the dean, she cannot issue the waiver to get aid to me because of federal regulations. Federal regulations say that in order to be granted the waiver for aid, you have to either be able to finish up a certificate program in the existing semester or finish up a degree in one additional semester. Even with changing my major, I can do neither.

So I'm back at square one. Out of luck and out of money. Going to attempt to call the offices of federal financial aid today and see if I can't find a loophole. You would think that as a single mom of 2, they would want me in school? I spent 2 hours in the dean's office yesterday, simply crying my eyes out trying to find some sort of a solution, but one could not be found. Its discouraging when you're trying to do the right thing for your family, get ahead, make a better future for your kids and show them that things can be achieved even down the road...

1 comments:

lfhpueblo April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM  

Crazy that they won't make an exception since you didn't know these rules.

Back to TOP