Thursday, December 10, 2009

What's your Family Dollar budget scenerio??

I've been able to consider myself very very lucky in this past year, being able to meet so many great people and experience new things. I recently went down to NYC for a blogger event hosted by Family Dollar, and if I hadn't loved Family Dollar before, I love them even more now!! Their options for the holidays are phenomenal!! But part of the fun in heading to their blogger event was exploring the different options that are at their stores, all the different things that you can get on pretty much every budget! And yes- I'm a tightwad, so all this budget stuff is nothing but fun to me!!

The bloggers that attended were able to have a "challenge scenario" and were given a gift card for their "budget" to use. One girls scenario was that she was a 20-something shopping for her 2 female roommates on a $15 budget. Another girls scenario was that she was a 30-something married couple shopping for each other on (I think) a $30 budget. Of course I loved my scenerio challenge because it hit close to home- I was "parents of 3 children, 2 girls and a boy." Of course we all know that I only have two kids, but I envisioned the third. My budget was $50, and I was determined to get the most bang for my buck at Family Dollar for my challenge scenerio.

With my $50 budget, browsing around the store I went from aisle to aisle... I couldn't decide, not because there wasn't enough- but because there was simply too much to choose from that I knew kids would love. And what I love, is that Family Dollar makes it super easy to stick to your budget with prices clearly marked and their easy on the wallet prices.

For exactly $50... (okay plus like $4.00 in tax...) I was able to grab up for my challenge--

  • 2 character dish sets, Disney princess & Disney cars
  • Toddler toy car set
  • Going green dump truck
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog sippy cup
  • Disney princesses rings
  • 2 placemats, Disney fairies & Disney cars
  • 2 Potato Heads (Mr and Mrs)
  • 3 coloring books
  • 3 Sesame Street board books
  • Toddler shopping cart that includes play food
  • Girlie stationery set
You can't even tell me that this isn't a damn good score for a $50 budget!! I have to admit, I've impressed myself with how well I was able to stretch that $50, and I'm impressed with how well Family Dollar was able to provide the items at the right prices! Their selection of $5 priced toys is huge and aren't junk, which sometimes is a worry when you see a price that's almost too good to be true! You can even head to the site to browse through their seasonal item selection of ridiculously low priced toys.

What does your holiday budget look like? How far over budget do you think you'll go? Will you hit up a Family Dollar this holiday season??

4 comments:

LissaL December 10, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

You did a great job shopping.Quite a selection. Family Dollar is a great place to shop especially if you live on a tight budget. (like my family)I haven't bought one thing yet for Christmas-will figure out what I have (dollarwise) to work with at the end of next week and go from there.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• December 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Wow! That's impressive. Just think how much money Family Dollar would save everyone this time of year!!

Unknown December 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

That is great Casey! I have actually done the majority of my shopping at Family Dollar before because money was tight. It's great to know that there's an option out there if you don't have a lot of money to spend. Family Dollar is right down the road too, so I'm there pretty much every other day for toiletries and just little things I run out of. You can beat their prices on spices!

KarieK December 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Dood....that is effing awesome!! Okay, I must hit the Family Dollar now since I have shopping left to do! OY.

Back to TOP