Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Too hard to do the right thing??

As a single mom of 2, I decided to go back to college and get a degree to make a better life for my children and myself. I started back in the fall of 2011 and its been nothing but insanity since because of financial aid.

I'm not looking for a hand out, but only what is entitled to me due to my life and my income. I jumped through hoops to get financial aid for last semester only to be told I had to reapply for another type of financial aid because I was only going part time. So to avoid that, I decided to go full time starting this month, and I'm getting smacked in the face again. They're telling me now that I won't get full time aid because of my acedemic record, because I went to the college from 2000-2001 and now I haven't completed 2/3rds of my attempted classes. Granted last semester I had a 4.0 GPA and its been TEN YEARS since the first time I went to school there.

I asked the person in the financial aid office why its so damn hard to do the right thing and make a better life, to get what should be given, and she had absolutely NOTHING to say to me. I don't think I've ever been so discouraged in my life. I don't even know what to do anymore. Be stuck as a bartender/waitress for the rest of my life? Working horrible hours and barely making ends meet? I just wanted to better myself, be a better mom, be able to give more to my kids and have more stability.

1 comments:

Leslie M. January 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM  

Bravo to you!!! Don't let them get you down. Make an appointment, Fill out FAFSA forms and apply for the Pell Grant. Google Financial Aid and see whats available for single mom's and esp. in the area you are studying. You might be surprised. Call around your area. Many local business give out scholarships Case. Do NOT be discouraged! You are doing great and you're a great example for your kiddos!
xoxo
Leslie

Back to TOP